The head of national intelligence says Iran wants “revenge” on the US for killing Quds Force commander Qassem Suleimani.
President Trump’s former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who was serving in the Trump administration at the time of Soleimani’s death, has been identified as an Iranian target.
Irán has not forgotten that Pompeo assassinated Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and General Soleimani who was held in very high regard by all for protecting people from Al queda. https://t.co/9Vct2V1eQq
— Patricia Dowling (@ketchmeifucan) April 29, 2022
This was revealed by Pompeo’s replacement, Antony Blinken, who testified before Congress last month.
Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines said Iran’s activities against current and past U.S. officials were an effort to avenge Soleimani’s death in Iraq. This was caused by an American airstrike in January 2020, according to a statement.
Other Potential Targets
She explained “a significant percentage of their motivation in this scenario is based on their desire for retribution against Soleimani.”
Haines added that it would be difficult to discourage them from taking action in this area. She might go into greater detail in a classified context.
Pompeo isn’t the only one targeted by Iran. John Bolton, the former national security advisor, has also been the subject of alleged murder plots, among other things.
The US government is spending $2 million per month to protect former secretary Mike Pompeo and a former top aid.
Iran's Revolutionary Guard is actively trying to murder these men in retaliation to the assasination of top General Qasem Soleimani in 2020.#Iran #USA
— FortyTwo (@MDFortyTwo) April 26, 2022
Pompeo’s protection costs the Diplomatic Security Service $2 million a month, according to a report to Congress released on Feb. 14 by the Department of State.
At a time when Iran is threatening the U.S., the Biden administration is trying to get Iran back into a nuclear agreement like the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
This was meant to limit Iran’s nuclear activity in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions, but was eventually dropped by the Trump administration.
One potential concession the United States has considered is the removal of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps’ terrorist designation.
However, the idea has gotten substantial backlash. Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, recently told Congress he does not endorse such a decision.
As part of the deal, the US has lifted sanctions on Iran. Lt. Gen. Scott Berrier, head of the Defense Intelligence Agency.
He was on the stand with Haines and said the extra money “could increase targeting against our affiliates in the region, as well as U.S. forces.”
Prior to this, authorities disclosed that Iran is strengthening its “essential infrastructure” in preparation for a military confrontation with the United States even as it seeks to resurrect an Obama-era nuclear “deal.”
This is in reaction to a prospective attack on the United States’ power grid.
Many people in the Biden admin think Iran does not have the missile-capacity to successfully attack the United States.
However, new evidence suggests the terrorist country is trying to step up its efforts to launch a small nuclear weapon from space over key electric grids.
This would cause a blackout that would shut down the entire United States’ electrical system.